I had often heard that we chose our parents before we came to this earth. A friend once offered additional insight that we possibly choose them also because they had qualities that we needed to develop here upon the earth. I spent a great deal of time considering this. There are so many times, in my life, where I see myself facing challenges with skills that I have learned from my parents.
One of my favorite pictures is of my parents holding me on the day I was Crissioned at the Method Church. When I look at them holding me, I know that I was blessed to have parents who were seeking God's will and willing to do what they thought he wanted them to do for me. I know that years later, as the Missionaries for the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter day saints knocked on their door, that they were again willing to learn and do God's will.
As an adult with a full household to manage, I find myself writing lists just as my Mother once did. You could usually find her in her chair curled up with a notepad and pen as she carefully calculated budgets, appointments, and meal plans. I loved it when she would get distracted on the phone and draw little flowers all over the page. She was faithful in reading the scriptures, serving in callings, and in getting us to church on Sundays. I am glad that she made these things a priority, her faithfulness influenced my own desires. She taught me to sing lullabies, and to let the sunshine in.
My Father, knew I was crazy and loved me anyways. He let me push lawnmowers, paint fences, and would let me use his scriptures on Sundays when I forgot mine. He taught me that if you worked hard, that you could make anything. Even though he was very busy, he would use busy times like driving to piano lessons, seminary or school to build a friendship with me. Once he taught me the song I needed to learn for an audition in Choir. "I know a Place" by petula clarke. I got the part, and I was so happy he was my friend. I have 5 kids of my own. They all know the song "Crabs walk sideways and Lobsters walk straight." and I hope they all will be hard workers. The skill to make time for friendship is one of great value to me.
I know that they love me, and I know that they are cheering me on. I know when I kneel down to say my prayers, that they are also praying for me, for my safety and success. What a blessing to have learned so much, from such good people.
"A loving and happy family does not happen by accident. Each person in the family must do his or her part. The Lord has given responsibilities to both parents and children. The scriptures teach that we must be thoughtful, cheerful, and considerate of others. When we speak, pray, sing, or work together, we can enjoy the blessings of harmony in our families."
(See Colossians 3.)

No comments:
Post a Comment